The KDZ was founded as a NPO in 1969, on the initiative of the Austrian Association of Cities, by the City of Vienna and the Bank Austria. In 1999 it was reshaped into the "KDZ - Centre for Public Administration Research" (non-profit organization) and its subsidiary "KDZ - Management Consultancy and Professional Training Corporation" for market-related activities.
Our international projects focus on the modernisation of public governance and management, e-government in Europe, also paying particular attention to the reform and strengthening of local and regional authorities in countries of Eastern and Southeastern Europe.Co-operation with the Council of Europe, OSCE, OECD-experts and CEMR (Council of European Municipalities and Regions) ensure the high quality of our international work. Furthermore, KDZ is a member of the German local government association KGSt (Cologne) and of ELANET (European Local Authorities Telematic Network) working together with Governance International (Bristol) and the University of St. Gallen (Institute for Public Services and Tourism, Switzerland).
We organise study visits to Austria for employees of local and regional authorities from countries of Eastern and Southeastern Europe and provide technical assistance in matters concerning EU-programmes and funding.
We act as partner in various international projects and are open for future cooperation and project proposals.
Some key international projects are:
- LOGON Network (from 1998 to 2005, Interreg IIIc-funded), which established a network of local government associations throughout Europe to exchange experiences related to EU accession and adhesion as well as information on tasks, objectives and activities of local and regional administrations in the European Union.
- RISER – Registry Information Service on European Residents (2004-2005, EU-funded) to validate a trans-European registry information service as e-government application.
- Need assessment for associations of local governments in Bosnia and Herzegovina on behalf of the OSCE (2003).
- Training strategy for public servants in Ukraine on behalf of the Council of Europe (2003).
- TACIS City Twinning with the Ukrainian city of Czernowitz (2002).
- E-CT: Electronic Calls for Tender (2002/03, EU-funded) analysing the opportunities of electronic tendering
- Strategic cooperation with the Association of Polish Cities resulting in joint seminars, workshops and publications (2004).
KDZ acts as CAF-Antenna in Austria and provides various CAF-support for public sector organisations in Europe.
International Cooperation and Projects
Thomas Prorok phone: +43 1 8923492-18
Alexandra Schantl phone: +43 1 8923492-37
Fax: +43 1 8923492-20