System of Financial equalization and Federalism
Our work contributes to a balanced and progressive financial equalization. Our particular concerns are:
- Increasing transparency in financial equalization: We bring light in the complex financing relationships and functionalities of the financial equalization system.
- Analyses of the system of financial equalization: We reveal potential for improvement of the areas of the financial equalization system. We analyse the financial equalization system from a financial and governance perspective.
- We create reform models for the further development of the system and process of financial equalization.
- Federalism reform: In addition to the financing side, the distribution of tasks in federalism must be further developed.
Transparent & modern public finances
With the focus on transparency and further development of public finances, we contribute to better governance in the public sector. Our focal points:
- Publication municipal finances: With the online platform www.offenerhaushalt.at we have set a standard for transparent municipal finances.
- Analyses of the financial situation: We publish annual reports of Austrian finances (Stadtdialog/City Dialogue).
- Recommendations for sustainable public finances: We help to ensure the long-term stability of municipal finances and the budgets of the federal and provincial governments.
- Planning and analysis instruments: We support municipalities with budgetary planning and analysis instruments via the platform www.praxisplaner.at.
- Budget and accounting: We support federal, provincial, and local governments in the further development of budgeting and accounting systems.
- Municipal finances and Corona
- Report on Municipal subsidies 2020
- Municipal Finances Report 2020
- Guideline for municipal accounting
Financing and managing public services
We are committed to up-to-date governance processes and structures. Our focus lies on multi-level governacne, especially in those areas that are performed jointly by the federal, state, and local governments.
- Financing and managing public services (e.g. public transport, education, care, climate protection)
- Further development of multi-level governance
- Development of new government models (e.g. city regions, intermunicipal cooperation)
- Modernizing federalism based on new governance aspects